09 July 2011

M&M Take Dallas

Brandon left a CD here when he went back to Auburn. Robert Earl Keen: Live in Austin, TX. Now, I will make no secret of the fact that I have previously turned up my nose at Mr. Keen's music. However, something prompted me to pop this CD into my car, and I've been rockin' out, Texas style, ever since. The song that has struck a chord in me recently talks about having "them goin' nowhere blues". Granted, I did go to Alabama for church camp, but other than that my travels this summer have been contained to Flint with the occasional jaunt to Dallas for a dress fitting, leaving me with a case of them goin' nowhere blues.

Cue a super indie/hipster road trip to thrift and antique stores in the Big D with one of my favorite gals. What an escape! We started at Curiosities, rummaging through old photographs, postcards, felt pennants, silverware, typewriters, marquee letters, you name it. The shop was so crammed that it took us near 2 hours to make the rounds. After that, we needed to replenish our energies, so we headed for the Twisted Root. Yum. This burger joint is delicious. Just ask Guy Fieri, because he's totally been there on Triple D. While we were there, we saw Madi's 4th grade crush and future husband on a double date. It was random. He avoided us and we avoided him. I think it was better for all of us that way. After lunch, we resumed putzing around Deep Ellum, then Oak Cliff (Bishop Arts District, not the sketchy gangster part), then West End. Groovy. What a perfect departure from the ordinary humdrum of routine life.

Later, I talked with some Pine Cove counselors, one being from Dallas, and he approved all of our (Madi's) store choices, saying "Well, you went to the right places". Way to go, girl. Thanks for planning our trip and wanting to shoot guns and driving on grassy medians to avoid wrecks and agreeing that Texas is the best and visualizing futures in Museum Tower.





No comments:

Post a Comment