04 May 2012

On Being Multilingual

Well, finals have come and gone and I'm pretty sure I have the kummerspeck to show for it.

I've been wanting to use that word all week. I took four years of German in high school, and always appreciated how literal the language is. I tried and failed to continue learning the language at a college level, but I know I'll always attempt to throw out phrases as often as I can. Same with my limited Spanglish. And my virtually-nonexistent-but-there's-still-a-little-there Russian and Italian. And now French, since in t minus nine days I will be on a rather large plane headed for a bus that will take me to Metz. Cue this teeny lifestyle blog becoming a teeny lifestyle blog with some travel thrown in. Invigorating. For those of you who've spent summers/semesters abroad, packing advice would be greatly appreciated! Hit me up. Je m'apelle Molly. (Useful French phrases would be greatly appreciated, as well, since at this point all I'll have in France is a lot of cheese omelets and a lot of French people knowing my name.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous23.3.15

    Kummerspeck is my new, second-favorite Germanism, behind schadenfreude.
    I know - I'm so mainstream.

    ReplyDelete