30 December 2012

Wallabee Warnings

Wallabees are definitely a look. You don't browse through a shoe store and pick them up thinking they're cute; you usually go in on purpose to find them because you've heard how comfortable they are or have subscribed to the so-ugly-they're-kind-of-cute mindset. My mom and I represent both of those scenarios, and on our after Christmas sale shopping trip we popped into a Clarks store and ended up trying some on. My mom asked for them first, which visibly shocked Saleswoman Desiree. She dutifully retrieved them from the back room, handed them over, then hovered like any good salesman, until, nice as can be: "You don't see many older women trying these on!" "Oh, really?" my thirty year old mother replied. "Yeah, I dunno. Most men don't like them either. They just kinda see them and think 'Warning sign! Oh no!' And you just don't see many old women trying them on."

So we were sort of taken aback. But we Cook women have a beautiful trait called passive aggressiveness - we both smiled and nodded at Saleswoman Desiree while my mother continued to try on the shoes, showing Saleswoman Desiree what was what. At which point I decided to ask for a pair in my size. "Really?" Yes, Saleswoman Desiree. She brought them out and hovered, and as I studied them in the mirror she inquired, "So, do you like those?" I said something politic along the lines of "they take getting used to, but I like them" and Saleswoman Desiree looked dubious. So to really show her what was what, I BOUGHT THEM. Take that Saleswoman Desiree, with your air-through-the-nose laugh as you shook your head and bagged the shoes and doubtfully said you "hoped I enjoyed them". But then I ended up making my mom take them back less than an hour later because I found a pair of boots that I'd had my eye on for awhile. (I don't do well with impulse buying. Things need to be mulled over for a few months or years. It is for this reason that Amazon.com Super Saver Shipping stresses me out like no other.) No sale for you, Desiree.

Welcome to shopping with Molly.

No comments:

Post a Comment