19 November 2013

specialized

I haven't said much on here lately because life and school have been happening at a ferocious rate. And I've fallen into a bad habit of talking myself out of posting things that might be too weird or too esoteric or too personal, but, like Madi, I am a weird, esoteric person so it makes a whole lotta sense for my ramblings to follow suit.

It's not just blogging. Journalling, letter writing, tweeting, emailing, note-taking, doodling: all have slowed to a halt here recently. Where have the creative juices flown?

One of my biggest fears coming to college was specialization. Complete and utter dedication to one thing and one thing only. And mine was engineering. Writing could always be a hobby. Love of literature could always be a hobby. History and geography and different cultures - hobbies, all. But calculus and physics? I loved 'em equally and knew my chances of continuing them on the side were slim to none. So I engineered. And I love it. (Most days...) Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that it scares me to stop writing and be unfazed by the loss of desire to write because I'm afraid to become so focused on being an engineer that I fail to be anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment