21 July 2014

Family Reunion

This is a very real story about a very real happening.

My madre came to visit Houston this past weekend and one of our shenanigans was a stop at the Menil Collection - a free art museum in a nearby neighborhood. (I'm not even going to attempt to name the neighborhood because Houston is the most neighborhood dense place in the world and I will just embarrass myself in front of the internet when I try and fail. We're in luck, though, because the story doesn't hinge on that detail by any means. Moving on.) The collection is really neat and varied - if you tire of surrealism there's couture in the next room, modern art in the next, and ancient artifacts in the next. We took it all in at our leisure and sauntered across the street to the gift shop when we had finished. There was one other couple in the gift shop, asking the cashier about art post cards, which led to the lady razzing the fellow for not just letting her take a photo of a piece that he wanted as a post card, to which he responded that he follows the rules and doesn't take photos in museums, to which she then responded, "yeah, you wouldn't even take a  picture of Beyonce and Jay-Z for me." 'scuse? She went on to look at me and say "Yeah, Beyonce's in there. Walking around. Like a normal person with Jay-Z and the little daughter..." with some more casual observations. Cue the Cook women discreetly leaving the gift shop and power walking back to the main building.

No shame, we walked that place up and down a second time hunting for Beyonce. She was nowhere in sight. We laughed it off, convinced ourselves that it wasn't stalking if you didn't actually see the person, and went on our merry way down the street to an additional building, the Rothko Chapel. We joked that Beyonce was probably in the Rothko Chapel anyway, since she obviously had finished browsing the Menil. Jokes, right? WRONG. As we neared the chapel, we notice a black Escalade with tinted windows parked but still running. The front door opens. A burly man with an earpiece gets out and stands next to the rear door. I start freaking out a little bit and furiously whispering while trying to still look like I'm playing it cool "Mom Mom Mahhhm they're going to get out of that car Maaahhhm". We round the hedge to walk down the pathway to the chapel. The door is opened. Beyonce does not get out. Because she is walking towards the car, right past me. Right past me! I was turned the corner, saw a posse, heard a man talking to the child he was holding, registered that was Jay-Z and Blue Ivy, and collected my wits enough to look straight at Beyonce and smile. She smiled back. And I was starstruck.

We sang "We saw Beyonceee, we saw Beyonceee" for the rest of the day and I am in fact still singing it as I chronicle this all down. I saw Beyonce, nerds! This is big time for a gal who has a longstanding irrational fear of not being able to recognize celebrities in public. Best museum visit ever.

1 comment:

  1. Wooooooooooowwwwww! What an amazing experience!!!!

    ReplyDelete