03 September 2014

Blendin'

I'm part of a thankfulness pledge with one of the very best mama-daughter bestie quartets in da world, where every morning we text each other with three things that we are thankful for that day. Items range from small to large, from humorous to serious - so long as your thankful for it, anything goes. One morning, inspired from my breakfast making, I announced being thankful for my blender. I know, right? Isn't this the girl who used to launch tirades against the mere thought of meal replacement?

Well, something has changed. My blender has become an invaluable tool in my kitchen arsenal. At the beginning I was atrocious at it - shakes that looked and tasted like sludge ("maybe it doesn't taste as bad as it loo...nope. nope. just as bad", shakes that seemed thinner than water ("how is this possible?!"), shakes of unfortunate size ("welp, what about second breakfast?"). Eventually, though, I got in the groove and started cranking out smoothies for breakfast this summer. And yet that lurking feeling still remained, the one loathe to miss out on a chance of actually eating a meal, the one that sent me back to the Greek yogurt container, granola in hand, every other morning.

Enter the smoothie bowl. Not something of my own creation, but something I fully endorse. The premise is just as obvious as you might would expect with that name. Make a smoothie, put it in a bowl, top with your granola et cetera. While simple, this concept was completely transformational for my emotional health. You see, I just couldn't get past sacrificing the chance to eat a meal.

Smoothie bowls are now one of my favorite breakfasts. It's all the goodness of yogurt and granola with the added bonus of fruits and greens. I pack mine with spinach - it's undetectable in taste but gives me a head start on vegetable consumption for the day and packs an iron punch. I supplement the yogurt with milk - the liquid is necessary for blending purposes and it provides additional calcium. My diet is usually sparse in the iron and calcium departments, so finding a yogurt and granola meal that aids those areas a little better than my previous yogurt and granola meal gets two thumbs up in my book.

Yes, I do believe I am very thankful for my blender.

(If you want to start incorporating smoothies into your routine but think "kale shakes" are invariably gross, might I suggest the Jeff Method of Smoothie Making? Get you some chocolate protein powder. You can throw in any fruit or veggie, add a scoop of chocolate, and have a chocolate milkshake every time. Or follow the Molly Method of the Jeff Method, which is just getting Jeff to make shakes for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment