10 November 2014

Halloween Costume Rundown

I started thinking to myself that it was about time for me to post something not related to food. Halloween costumes? Perfect! Except...we went as food. womp womp.

Costumes are unbelievably fun for me to think about and figure out how to make them come to be. However, there are so many clever, creative ideas that it is near impossible for me to zero in on one thing. After batting around tons and tons of ideas, the clear winner was an avocado. Now, I probably know what you are thinking because I told quite a few people about this and got the same reaction every time - "An avocado? Huh! *smile and/or chuckle followed by confusion and/or concern* How are you going to do that?" Well, let me show you.


Using felt and a tutorial for a fried egg costume, I appliqued different colors to mimic an avocado half. I attempted to make this look like the half left with the absence of the pit, but my 3D illusion applique skills are not ideal. Then I made another that has the pit.


Tada! An avocado. The costume required a little too much of putting 2 and 2 together to be a huge hit with the Halloween crowd we ran with, but it was quite the star on Insta. Relatively. (seriously though I know some high school freshmen girls that get about 200 likes on every picture and I'm over here high fiving myself after positive feedback from someone other than a family member or a basically family member. kids today, am I right?)

All in all, we ended up with a Hass-ome costume that really guac-ed the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment