13 January 2011

I Know the Meaning of These Nineteen Years*

*The title of this post is taken from Les Miserables song lyrics that have been stuck in my head all day. I don't know the meaning of life. Coincidentally, though, I have been alive for nineteen years. Which brings us to...

Today was my birthday. I woke up kind of dreading it. It was my first birthday away from home. I knew that my dad was planning to come to Atlanta and take me to see Beauty and the Beast at the Fantastic Fox Theater, but at the time I went to bed it was still up in the air as to whether or not his flight would be cancelled (pun always intended). Needless to say, not a great feeling to wake up with. Then I decided to make some tea and I spilled my entire electric tea kettle full of warming water on the ground. Oh boy. And because of the snowpocalypse I had no breakfast food in my room, forcing me to eat the top of a Chick-Fil-A bun instead. Then I read my Jesus Calling for January 13, 2011 and it was like Sarah Young knew I was going to be alone on my birthday for the very first time. She says, in God's perspective, "Thank Me for this day of life, recognizing that it is a precious, unrepeatable gift. Trust that I am with you each moment, whether you sense my presence or not." After reading that, I decided to thank God for my birthday each time I started internally whining. Can you believe my day got better? Because it sure did.

First of all, my morning classes were already cancelled, but I got an email announcing that my afternoon lab was cancelled as well. So, I watched two episodes of Friday Night Lights - Season One, my new TV obsession. I decided that I could marry Matt Seracen. Just might, if given the chance. Then the mass influx of Facebook "happy birthday!"s came. For the first time ever, I made it a point to individually thank everyone for the birthday wishes. It really made me realize how blessed with friends I am, even if this was the first time I'd heard from some of these people since middle school. Not to play favorites, but I was really impressed by the sentiments from Robert Goulet's wife, Vera. The mail at GaTech was finally up and running, so I was able to pick up a package which had been sitting there since finals week. Yes, it was from one of my best friends. And yes, it was an instrumental Whitney Houston CD. After some quality Big/Little study time my dad arrived! He came bearing gifts, even though I asked for nothing but Beauty and the Beast and Rose Festival. So, I opened my Hot Tamales, 8 gig flash drive, journal, and Bananagrams before getting ready for the evening. The Evening = Molly, Dad, Roomie, and Big all bundling up and braving the icy sidewalks to walk to dinner and then the Fox. May I say, stunning? gorgeous? unbelievable? And I'm not just talking about the girls, har har har. The Fox was breathtaking. And the show was such fun. And I would say more but I'm saving it for a time when I'm not blogging 'til my eyelids droop shut. (Jonathan Toomey, anyone?)

Long story short, birthday was made great by the plethora of simple pleasures gracing every turn.

In other, yet related, news, I've decided to start a Project 365! One picture a day for a whole entire year. Being my birthday, today is the first day, but forgive me for not uploading and editing the picture yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment