10 February 2011

Style is The Perfection of a Point of View

^Richard Eberhart said that, and I like it. It always amazes me when people comment on my "style". I wasn't aware that I had style. I just wear what I like. Today, for instance, I'm wearing a navy t-shirt, black pants, brown cowboy boots, and a red coat. (The red coat more out of necessity than choice - it's cold!) I like black and navy together. I like black and brown together. Heck, I might even be crazy enough to like brown and navy together. So that's what I wear. Plus. Stacey and Clinton say all the time that it's OK to mix neutrals. I trust Stacey and Clinton. Clinton a little more than Stacey, but still.

These comments have prompted some soul searching, and I'm proud to announce Molly's Comprehensive List of How to Dress and What to Wear In Order to Attain Her Style. (This is by no means intended as a substitute for Tim Gunn's Guide to Style. Always trust Tim Gunn.)
1. Always, always wear t-shirts: t-shirts are not only comfortable and functional, they are also great mementos of really cool things. For example, I have a NASA t-shirt from my adventures with Madi, one from the best little barbeque joint in Tyler, the tie-dyed shirt I made in AP Chemistry, shirts from concerts, etc. These memories make me really happy anytime I pull shirts out of my drawer. Wear them with shorts to look sporty, jeans to look casual, skirts to look hipster, and leggings to look sororitastical.
2. High waisted skirts: believe me on this one. My middle school mentality for lower half dressing was the lower-riding the better. What actually occurred was the lower-riding the more love handles. High waisted skirts not only make you look thinner, they also make you look like a secretary or business woman. Or a classy lady from the 1950's. Plus, they give you an excuse to tuck in your shirt.
3. Tucked-In Shirts: I don't really have an explanation for this, except that I really like tucked-in shirts. Indiana Jones always tucked in his shirts (or at least started out that way), so I guess it's handy just in case you have to embark on a treasure hunting adventure. On that note...
4. Dressing like a character: my segues are infallible today. One thing that I really love to do is to create a whole outfit around a character. Subtle themes like Jedi, cowboy, secretary, Audrey Hepburn in <fave Hepburn movie>, safari, Amelia Earhart, etc. are always fun. Although, most of the time I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person who can detect my theme. That's OK with me, though.
5. Tights: tights are a cure-all. It's cold outside. Wear tights. My dress is too short. Wear tights. These shoes give me blisters. Wear tights. I want to look like a flight attendant today. Wear tights. Bonus points are given for wearing socks over tights.
6. Boots Shoes Boots: I love boots. I cannot say it enough. Actually, I love any kind of shoes. All shoes. Any shoes. But boots are especially awesome because they make you feel powerful, like you can stomp out any problem. If I could have an unlimited supply of two things, they would be giftcards to Barnes and Noble and boots. And AA Advantage Miles, so three things.
7. Sweaters: cardigans are my lifeblood. Not really, but I do like them a lot. In my experience, Target sales racks have by far the best cardigans in the world. No matter what you wear, it always looks classier with a cardigan.
8. Everything Else: as a general rule, just wear things that look like they belong in a middle-aged woman's wardrobe, or could be purchased at the Gap - definitely some overlap in those two categories - but wear them with something unexpected like a t-shirt or those japris you bought at Hollister in 7th grade. Maybe that's the whole secret to my "style". Just wear things that you like, even if they look like they don't go together. Chances are, they don't and you'll start a new trend. Oh, and matching is overrated.

There. Now that I've spoken my piece, and my peace, about fashion, I hope every one of you eight readers forget about it and wear what you like.

1 comment: