18 June 2013

Social Studies

Here's a series of cute stories inspired by Madi's nostalgic posts and Kerry's superwoman comment.

My seventh grade Texas History teacher was quite the eccentric. Like, dressing up as a fortune teller to foresee the outcome of the Alamo and rewarding the weird kid by letting him chew gum from the bottom of the desks and giving students unwanted nicknames eccentric. I still distinctly remember her gleeful realization that Madimack had a mom named Marymack and a brother named Markymack. Then she asked Madi's dad's name and was answered with "Scott" and a death glare. We didn't like our nicknames.
When I sat next to my friend Nichole I "talked too much" - yeah, right, it was the guys in front of us - and was moved next to Clinton. It was in this seat that the infamous movie notes episode occurred. We were instructed to take notes during an in-class movie, but since those are typically for personal use and I already knew everything that the movie was saying, I just drew stars all over my paper. We were then told to turn our notes in for a grade. Mine was a zero.
Part of our curriculum was reading Old Yeller, and this teacher laughed so hard she almost popped on the day that she read aloud the chapter containing the bull fight. The entire class was more than a little worried.
We had a project where we each were assigned to report on a small town parade. It was highly entertaining to ask the kid who called his speech impediment a German accent about his "pa-wade".
At the end of the year, this teacher thought it would be a great idea to award the class with PEZ dispensers that reflected our personalities, probably in an effort to capture kids hearts. I can only recall three of the awards. Mine was Wonderwoman, and all I remember about the explanation was that she mentioned "the basketball court", which I obviously took as validation of my plans to become a Baylor women's basketball star. Madi got Marge Simpson and was not happy about it. And a girl named Janay got a fireman because she was "the type of girl who is one day going to marry a really handsome man!"

How does anyone survive middle school.

1 comment: