22 October 2013

A Cunning Birthday Present

My entire family fangirls over Firefly. We love those big damn heroes. And when a novice knitter fangirls over Firefly, she will invariably make a Jayne Cobb hat. And when that novice knitter's father fangirls over Firefly, she will invariably make that cunning hat for him. And that's what I did. I got on a knitting kick over the summer and completed several projects, including one Jayne hat as a birthday present for my dad. It was one of those, "I know what this is and am really excited about it but will you know what this is?" presents. I'm sure everyone has given those...right? Y'all, I was so excited that I didn't even wrap it or wait until his birthday month to gift it. All of my fears were dispelled the moment I pulled it out from behind my back and was met with, "A Jayne hat!!!". Kudos to you for being the coolest dad on the block, Dad.
Anyway, I'm pretty proud of this baby because it was my first time making a hat, knitting in the round, changing color, and decreasing (for the earflaps). Pretty risky, concerning that this was to be a gift. Jayne's mother imperfectly knitted his hat, so any mistakes were just added, intentional authenticity, you know. The only real gaffe is that it's about 40x too big because someone thinks she knows more than experienced knitters and doesn't need to follow patterns. Whoops.

Here's the finished product:

And where most bloggers would put attractive photos from an elaborate photoshoot showcasing their project, I will put some extraordinary selfies to demonstrate the size of this thing:


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I have the opposite problem: most of my knitted hats end up too small because I underestimate the size of my monstrous head. In patterns I usually have to make the adult men's size for myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The generous sizing helps accommodate the swelling that comes from pride in the accomplishments of gifted offspring.

    ReplyDelete