23 April 2014

Food

The ending weeks of a semester are always fun for me in that I feel the need to use up every single food item I have in the exact amount of days I have left. It's a game. I don't like to lose games. Throwing out food or taking a hefty amount back to Texas is losing.

Aside: this is why Pinterest is my best virtual friend. Not only does it have any and every recipe that I could ever think to search for, it also never fails to provide plenty of options when I type incoherent things like "black beans whole wheat egg whites" in the search bar.

Now back: enter half a bag of dried chickpeas. Dried beans are wonderfully economic and free from weird canning things*, but one bag gives you a lot a lot of beans. I mean, that would be great if I were feeding a family or Hugh Jackman, but I am a 22 year old girl. I already have black beans on black beans in the freezer, but I cannot lose this game and therefore must make use of these chickpeas. Enter falafel. Have I ever had falafel? No. So what made me want to make it? This bag of chickpeas, my friends. It was quite simple and got the stamp of approval from my roommate, who said it tasted just like her grandmother's. Her Indian grandmother. Big time, y'all. And it was baked, not fried, so health wins again!

Anyway, the plan is to pack these puppies in my Vera lunch kit and munch tomorrow during my day of sitting in business formal attire and listening to senior design presentations. Everyone knows "free food" provided for any group of college students is going to be pizza, and this girl has hit her Papa John's quotient for the month.

*one of my failings is never actually being able to remember or back up nutrition claims. I know that canned vegetables have lots of sodium (thanks to Alton Brown and Jeff), but I think I also read somewhere more reasons to avoid canned things. Not to mention botulism, which has been one of my illogical fears ever since learning about it in tenth grade Nutrition Health Science Tech.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for making me go look up botulism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had to look up botulism. Is that why you gave me the can in the final's package? :P Nice Hugh Jackman reference!

    ReplyDelete