29 May 2014

Sh-sh-shakin'

I'm afraid up to the minute information is hard to come by with me, but this is some pretty good up to the three weeks ago information.

My graduation present from the big bro was an entire weekend of hangout time plus a The National t-shirt because we shook our knees three days worth at the Shaky Knees music festival in Atlanta. Three. days. Festivalling is serious business, folks, and we were both of us 3-day newbs. Our first day can be summed up in one word: ambitious. We got there early (after brunching, of course), shook our tambourines with abandon, braved some heavy rain, and were exhausted. Good exhausted, but exhausted nonetheless. The National headlined this night, and they were well worth standing out in the downpour. Other highlights from the day included The Whigs and Spoon. Our second day we took a little easier, making sure to take some relax breaks in Atlantic Station. This day was marked by a ginormous deluge right before the headliner, Modest Mouse, was slated to come on stage. Brandon and I were bright eyed and bushy tailed up near the front of the crowd until we realized just how close we were to the people around us. I was using the person pushing me from behind as a back rest, but eventually the proximity to the stage was not worth the physical contact, so we moved back a bit. In this area of the crowd, we were close to almost touching our neighbors on each side as we waited some more for Modest Mouse to come on. They were a tad late. When they did start playing, the rowdy crowd moved in. We moved out. After four or five songs we headed straight to the portapotties and didn't stop until we exceeded a personal space radius beyond fingertip spacing. The s p a c e was welcomed. We learned a lesson: we are not cool enough for a Modest Mouse concert [1]. Love the songs, but honestly any showmanship and/or good attitudes were seriously lacking. Kind of disappointing, Mice. Day 2 highlights were Hayes Carll - Texas country with a kick, great storyteller - and Dawes. We were both in agreement that if we were to live this day over again, we would go to the Cold War Kids stage even though it meant forfeiting our "awesome spot" for Modest Mouse. Live and learn. We started day three off right, with Brandon's first ever Tin Drum. This was the only day of the concert that we weren't soaked to the bone, ptl. The headliner was The Alabama Shakes, and they put on a groovin' show. The crowd boogied. Other highlights from day three were Langhorne Slim and the Law, Jason Isbell, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. Unfortunately, something wonky was going down with the sound for Iron and Wine, which really is too bad because I'm sure that would have been a great show if you could have heard something other than bass.
1. Brandon said this. I am giving him credit.

We came. We saw. We concerted.

Even though we're old fogies now*, I still get little-sister-invited-to-hang-out-with-her-big-brother giddy. Which I realize is probably undetectable because I don't really do the whole giddy thing, but it's there, promise.

*I thought to myself "I wonder if I'll fit in as a college student!" as a joke as I was driving around Rice University this afternoon until I realized that it is less of a joke than I originally thought and pretty soon it won't be a joke at all yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment