20 August 2014

words

I'm a hoarder. Not quite TLC level, but I can always find reason to save mass quantities of things. Of these, probably what I love hoarding the most are words. And the more I think of it, the more I am just falling in love with the idea of possessing something so abstract as a word, a sentiment, a wish, a prayer. I have them all! Very meticulously kept and preserved. Maintaining a library is obviously one form of word hoarding; keeping countless voices and ideas on shelves. In addition, every time I come across a quote that speaks to me either in a book or on Pinterest (or tumblr or some other medium) I save it and eventually transcribe it into a handwritten journal. I copy meaningful texts, Facebook posts, and spoken conversations into another handwritten journal. Throughout the years and various means, I've amassed a ginormous word collection. However, most precious to me will always and forever be letters and notes sent to me by the people I love and admire most. Tangibility of thoughts and feelings in the form of the written word cannot ever be overrated.

I say this now because I read through my essays from 12th grade English at the end of the summer, fully intending to toss them afterward and prevent one day living in piles and piles of my old school work. In actuality, I realized why I had kept them so long in the first place. These essays contain the sweetest sentiments from a most admired teacher and brought me to tears merely because, even though that treasured relationship is past, I still have it with me. I have the words, the essence of this time with one of my most influential teachers, the emotions in turn of pride, humility, and confidence that his correction and praise inspired. All because I have the words.

I say this now because tonight I read through a collection of my most special letters, ones that travel with me no matter where I live and are always kept apart from the rest of my letter collection. These are the letters that make the difference. They are from a wide range of times in my life, from friends and family, and they capture so much. I have the words, the ways God has used me to touch people's lives, the well of love developed through years of care and intention and trust. All because I have the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment