01 February 2015

oh, brother

I read one of those "# Things That Do/Show/Mean _____" articles this morning.

Yeah, I know, whatever, I'm a sucker for them and all their highly amusing and sort of unnecessary goodness.

Anyway, this one was all about how growing up with brothers makes you a stronger woman, which is something that I know to be true in my personal experience without needing to read 14 reasons why. But one of those reasons stuck out to me, as it also happens to be something that came up in conversation last night: "You know how to get what you want. You are a master at arguing, you’ve been doing it for as long as you can remember. You always have your stuff backed up and you have no problem voicing your opinions. Your brothers might be smart, but you have to be smarter."

And, please - this girl has never even come up against the devil of logic-trapping you into eating your own words himself, Brandon T. Thanks to him, I pity anyone who tries to convince me that something I believe to be true is not true, whether right or wrong. But you know who I pity more? I pity every single other person who has to come up against him without the benefit of a childhood's worth of training. 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4.2.15

    Do you ever find yourself conflicted?

    I'm a man of faith and a man of science. The more I study science, the more solidified my faith in God becomes, because the sheer odds against life are otherwise too slim.
    But there are certain stories from The Bible with which I grew up that have nearly insurmountable amounts of evidence stacked against them.

    Consider Creaton, in Genesis. Nowadays, we are all but certain of the "true" processes which brought the early Earth to what it is today.

    As a woman of science and of faith, do you ever find yourself wondering which "side" is correct, when they're pitted against each other?

    (this is relevant, I promise)

    If somebody came to you with proof obtained through Scientific Rigor that "Creation" is false, how would you react?
    You said "whether right or wrong" - that's an un-scientist thing to say. But I can relate, as often times, the un-scientist in me is the man of true faith. And sometimes it's just the "I *must* be right" portion of me.

    I've "been on the Internet" for about 16 years and I have long-since learned my lesson about bringing up politics, religion or bascially any other opinion. (I also tend to abstain from such hot-button time-wasters in reality). But it's not often I encounter somebody who I think can handle such a question/discussion with maturity and non-Internety-troll-ness.

    If you choose not to respond to this one, I won't feel offended; I'll just proceed onward hoping I at least got you thinking about this...even a little would be satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete