06 July 2015

helpers

Sitting here, working on a class presentation (that's always when the most blogging seems to get done), and it's kind of amazing me. The class is a clinical observation rotation for medical physics and it involves several job shadowing opportunities for various treatments and procedures. To describe the field of medical physics, I'll spare the technical terms and nuances of clinical hierarchy and say, in the simplest of definitions, we help treat cancer. And it's the coolest thing. I started this summer with an extensive understanding of the theory behind what we do (well, enough schooling that I should've had an extensive understanding) but not very much of a practical understanding at all. I'd been in a clinical setting before, but the nature of that experience limited me to the two monitors in my cubicle and the cafeteria. This is something new entirely. I am in the game this summer. A Milford Man for sure, but still up close and in the action.



Let me tell you what I love the most about it. The people. They're committed. Their attitudes. They're beautiful. The atmosphere. It's charged. Going in, I had no idea what to expect. Most of me was girding up for a depressing, doom-and-gloomy situation. The reality could not be any more different. Yes, cancer is an ugly, gloomy disease, but the people who work to treat it are anything but. They love their jobs and they love on their patients. They are helpers. And if I've felt called to be anything in this life, it's to be a helper.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8.7.15

    This post made me smile for so many reasons.

    The world and the Internet's representation of the world can be very ugly, indeed. I never grow tired of finding brightly glowing beacons of humanity, such as this.
    I'm happy you're doing good in this world; and I'm happy that you're happy about it.

    However, I am a little saddened...by the fact that I can't give you the high-five you deserve for the ever-so-perfect Arrested Development reference.

    And that's why....you always leave...a comment.

    ReplyDelete