04 November 2012

We Give Thanks

I love that November is an entire month dedicated to thanksgiving, and I love seeing Facebook posts of what people are thankful of every day of the month. Even though I'm a few days late to the party, I'm joining in on this "I'm Thankful For..." business. Every day, I'm making note of some occurrence that I am thankful for. (I thought it would be more beneficial for me to search for something particular to each day than to just list out 30 flavors of Ben and Jerry's...)

November 1 - I am thankful for hole-in-the-wall eating establishments. There's an unparalleled bond that comes from eating at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. The sense of adventure, the camaraderie, the feeling of sharing a culinary secret that no one else knows about, all of these things add up to the beauty that is finding a new, off the beaten path, eatery.

November 2 - I am thankful for the Georgia Tech Student Section of the American Nuclear Society. We had a screening of The Chernobyl Diaries in honor of Halloweek and spent the entire movie laughing at radiation induced zombies and Geiger counter snooze buttons. A lot of the close friendships I've made within my major have been thanks to ANS, and I am so thankful for a little nerd place to call home.

November 3 - I am thankful for Kerry Cogan (check out her blog). She doesn't know this, but I almost kicked blogging to the curb a while back, thinking I'd run my course and honestly fed up with the whole thing. Then Kerry mentioned me in a post of blogs she looks forward to reading, and my spirits were lifted. Then on November 3rd, when I'd convinced myself that novel writing was a ridiculous notion and there really was no point in even attempting, Kerry again spread her words of encouragement and got me back into the novel writing race. So, thank you, Kerry! You are superb.

November 4 - I am thankful for Northside United Methodist Church. For anyone who's had to move churches, you know how difficult it can be to disentangle your love for the Lord from your love for the church. That's exactly what I struggled with freshman year, and I'm happy to have found a church in Atlanta that I look forward to attending every week. Dr. Gil is a beast, and I am constantly wowed by his wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. Molly, you're awesome. I'm so grateful to have you as a friend and a blog buddy. :)

    (And on an unrelated note, I like the way you phrased the idea of having to disentangle love of God from the love that we might have for a church that we might be more comfortable with. I think a lot of people struggle with that but don't necessarily know how to vocalize it.)

    ReplyDelete