08 November 2012

We Give Thanks

November 5 - I am thankful for letters in my mailbox. It's so easy and instantaneous to send an email, a text, a Facebook message, a Tweet. Receiving a letter means that someone has taken the time to a) think of you, b) write out their message, c) find an envelope, d) pay for postage, e) find your address, and f) actually put the letter in the mail. A lot of care goes into one letter, and receiving one brightens any day - especially tough days like this one.

November 6 - I am so very thankful for the unprecedented greatness of our forefathers, who molded our great country with their knowledge and prescience. I am perpetually awestruck by the staying power of their actions.

November 7 - I am thankful for hugs. Yes, this is probably a shock for most people who know that I am anti-touchy-feely and socially inept in the hugging area. I just can't pick up on those social cues, y'all. Are we hugging, or not?! But some days, and always when you need it most, you unexpectedly run into a friend in the hallway and they wrap you up in a big hug where your face gets smooshed into their armpit and they don't even bat an eye when you kind of freak out after realizing you got lipstick on their jacket, apologize multiple times, and lick your thumb to try and rub it off. Then for the rest of the day/week you can smile, knowing that people actually do exist that are tall enough for your face to get smooshed into their armpit.

November 8 - I am thankful for friends who call you even though they only have 15 minutes to talk. (I'm looking at you, Madi.) We are all busy people, and I know that I'm definitely guilty of thinking that I'd better have hours and hours to devote to catching up before picking up the phone. Wrongo. Just a quick call will do, and can significantly broaden this girl's smile, even if all we talk about is avoidance tactics and what hour I'm on for Target browsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment