01 December 2013

counting your blessings

I'm afraid it's just one of those Bing Crosby count your blessings instead of sheep nights. You know the type. When better for a post of thanksgiving?

I love Thanksgiving for its simplicity. There's no real mascot, no gift-giving, no huge marketing push, just family and food. To me, it feels like a truly honest holiday. I love hearing what everyone is thankful for and dwelling over and over the things that I am thankful for, finding the beauty worthy of thanks in every situation. Here are a few.

Abundance. I am thankful for an overwhelming abundance of love, from family and friends. For always having more than enough food to eat, clothes to wear, and space to reside. For unbelievable opportunities. For an abundance of patience in those who deal with me. For an abundance of creativity and curiosity and an abundance of resources to fuel both. For an abundance of mercy and grace.

Friendos. I am thankful for the people in my life who sharpen me as iron sharpens iron. The people who crack me up, listen to me rant, retain an impressive amount of inside jokes, teach me new things, cheer me up on gloombot days, send me notes of encouragement, share the best links, and provide constant inspiration. And I am thankful to be able to include my entire family in this category.

The end of a chapter. Y'all, undergrad is this close to being over. It's weird but it's welcome. I am thankful to have reached this point and to have some semblance of an idea to what's next. I am thankful for the experiences that have brought me here and the bits of wisdom I've gleaned along the way.

I'm thankful for new recipes, for new projects, for blogs, for books, for movies, for music, for connectivity, for Dr. Gil, for big scarves, for crisp weather, for fun-loving people, for memory lane, for dark chocolate, for hiking boots, for Russia, for Russians, for dogs, for cats, for pine trees, for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment