15 January 2014

Poached

Confession time: my culinary resolutions were based off of two ideas I had for dinners this week and I knew I'd accomplish them because I'd already planned on it. I don't know if that makes me a faux resolutionist or a genius one, but it is what it is. Making soup without a recipe was pretty easy (and I'm convinced anything will taste good if you use garam masala). I called Soup Master Deb before even starting the process to get a basic idea of what to do, then followed her instructions as best I could. Granted, it isn't particularly soupy soup. Broth is overrated, am I right? Egg poaching was next on the agenda and tackled tonight. I overcooked the eggs, but I sure did poach them. Nothing a little practice won't fix.

dem eggs

Speaking of culinary adventures, for my birthday I was taken to my first ever cooking class. *insert roof raising* A little Thai sass-pot named SunisAAH taught Thai Restaurant Favorites (supposedly...there was neither curry nor green tea ice cream nor Thai tea and I just want to know, whose favorites?). We learned how to make perfect Pad Thai. We made imperfect Pad Thai, but part of me wants to blame that on a certain two groupmates who were only interested in the free wine accompanying the meal. O.K., all of me wants to blame that on a certain two groupmates. We learned how to make coconut soup by never ever ever stirring the soup. Stirring coconut milk breaks up the coconut and releases the oils - you want that in a curry, but not in a soup. (I'm basically a regular Thai cooking expert at this point, folks.) We stirred the soup, but when I say "we" I mean a certain two aforementioned groupmates. In the end, it was pretty obvious that our meal was created by a bunch of novice Thai cookers, but it was a ton of fun. I'd recommend the experience to anyone. I'd also recommend that if you're going to be grumpy you should either stay home or know that super cute college kids are making fun of you for the entirety of their drive back to campus.

yes, we're posing with shrimp. they had eyes for the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment